The City of Cañon City Police Department Records Division maintains all police department records, with the exception of personnel records.
The Records Department is open Monday thru Thursday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm and on Fridays by Appointments Only Preferred. Forms are available online or in the entryway of the Police Department. Please call (719) 276-5600 option 1 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or to schedule an appointment.
*We do advise to make an appointment due to the volume of community members we serve and to maintain privacy for all, however, walk-ins are welcome Mon-Thurs.
The Canon City Records Unit strives to achieve the highest standards of the organization by providing access to the inspection and copying of records under the Colorado Criminal Justice Act (CCJRA), pursuant to Part 3 Criminal Justice Records (C.R.S. 24-72-301 – 24-72-309) to build trust and legitimacy with our community, as part of the six pillars of 21st Century Policing.
- The Records Unit does not provide legal advice.
- The Records Unit does not have the authority to require another agency to turn over records.
- If you were in a traffic accident and need a copy of the TA Report you can go to Crashdocs.org.
- All requests for CAD 911 Dispatch calls will need to be requested through the dispatch center at 719-276-5600 option 6.
Costs of Services (Check or Cash Only)
Please see the Canon City Records Unit Schedule of Fees here.
Office Procedure for Handling of Records Requests
- The Canon City Records Unit will only accept requests made in writing with the Records Request Form filled out, sent via email or in person at the CCPD.
- The Department will not accept records requests made over the phone or social media.
- If there are questions pertaining to records request please call our office at 719-276-5600 option 1 during business hours.
- When responding to a request for records under CCJRA, the department will make every effort to respond within 3 business days following the receipt of the request to verify the request and payment information. The department may need to clarify the request to ensure the request is fulfilled in a timely manner.
- CORA requests for Criminal Justice Records will be treated as requests made under CCJRA. As such, not all records may be available for release or may have information redacted prior to release.
- If Canon City Records Unit makes reasonable attempts to contact the requestor to clarify the request or discuss the scope of the request, and the requestor does not respond within ten business days the department will close the request and require the submission of a new records request be filled out.
- Once the request is complete the records are to be picked up within 30 days of notification or a new request for records will need to be submitted.
Bike Licenses are available upon request. If submitting a form online, once received the Records Unit will contact the requestor to schedule a time to come to the department to pay and pick up the license.
The Records Unit handles the request to license dogs within city limits in accordance with Municipal Code Sec. 6.08.040, 6.08.050
- If submitting a form online, once received the Records Unit will contact the owner to schedule a time to come in to pay and pick up the dog license
- When picking up a dog license please be sure to bring a copy of the current rabies certificate with the tag number
Our department is only able to do court-ordered/criminal fingerprinting. Identification is required.
If you are needing prints for any other purpose please visit coloradofingerprinting.com to register and find a location nearby.
Sex Offender Registrations
Please be sure to bring a valid government-issued photo ID, as well as all required paperwork including registrations on all vehicles you have access to, and if you are on probation or parole, a copy of your conditions of release. Registration at the CCPD is for those living within city limits. For those who live outside city limits, registration must be completed at the Fremont County Sherriff's Office across the street at 100 Justice Center Road.
- The vehicle/trailer must be present and have a title or registration.
- If you are in need of a Certified VIN Inspection please call so we can have you complete the required paperwork. An Officer will contact you to schedule an appointment