Community Agency Funding
The purpose of this program is to support charitable groups and organizations to directly benefit the health and well-being of Cañon City residents and neighborhoods. The City has established requirements and expectations to ensure that the programs and projects make an effective, measurable and positive impact in our community. In the interest of fiscal accountability and program effectiveness, the award process is subject to this policy.
To be eligible for funding, the applying organization must be an established 501(c)(3) at the time of application. Organizations that have an established funding agreement with the City are not eligible for this program.
The City will consider costs directly related to the program in which funding is requested. Examples of eligible costs could include but are not limited to:
- Internet service
- Contracted Services
- Taxes and fees
- Utility payments
- Rent/Mortgage payments
- Building repair
- Building maintenance
Decision to Fund
The City cannot guarantee funding for community organizations from year to year. Access to funding in one year does not guarantee continued funding. The City anticipates an estimated budget of $50,000 for the 2022 awards under this program. This may be adjusted depending on economic conditions through the end of the year and the number of submitted applications. While funding is ultimately in the sole discretion of City Council, funding will generally be evaluated on the following categories:
- Community Service-providing services to the community regarding various topics to include basic needs, health, and welfare, etc.
- Youth Education-providing youth programs, youth focused prevention programs, and supplemental education for youth programs, etc.
- Quality of Life-providing community improvement activities to include arts, and culture, etc.
- Applications and documentation must be submitted to the City Administrator’s office no later than 5:00 PM on October 8, 2021.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Community Agency Funding Committee for eligibility.
- Applicants must make a presentation before the Community Agency Funding Committee. Date to be determined.
- Committee submits proposed recommendations to full city council for approval in November 2021.
- An award letter will be sent to each successful recipient by January 15, 2022.
* Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Completed Community Agency Funding Request form
- Percentage of City of Canon City residents served by the funding request, if approved
- Financial statements
- Activity descriptions
- Goals and objectives
- Evaluation plan
- Plan for sustainability
Allocation of Funds
If selected, the City Finance Department will set up an account with your agency to allocate funds on a reimbursement basis.
The City will require programmatic and financial status reports on how your agency used its allotted funds BEFORE reimbursements will be awarded. Reports should include:
- Dates and times
- Agendas, minutes, newspaper articles, etc.
- Descriptions and documented Cañon City numbers served
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to complete and turn in required reports within the twelve-month period can terminate future possibilities for funding. Requests for additional funding after initial allocation will not be considered.
Taxability of Grant
The City will provide a 1099G to all recipients under this program according to IRS guidelines. Please consult with your tax advisor for the proper tax reporting.
For any questions please contact:
Tammy Nordyke, Finance Director
Please mail or hand-deliver applications to:
City of Cañon City
Attn: Tammy Nordyke
128 Main St.
Cañon City, CO 81215