Can I have an in-home business?

A home occupation is a permitted use provided that the use is clearly secondary to the residential use of the property and if there are no adverse impacts on the neighborhood. Examples of the types of home occupations allowed might include:

  • Flower arranging
  • Home office
  • Licensed family child care
  • Tailoring
  • Telephone sales


Employees of the in-home business are limited to those who live on the premises. Up to 20% of the area of the home can be used for the home occupation. A sign is permitted up to two square feet in size. Other licenses may be required also. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.100 and the definition of “home occupation” in Chapter 17.08 of the Zoning Regulations for more information. Also view the Development Assistance Packets and Reference Guides page.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call for code enforcement issues?
2. What happens when code violations are found?
3. What types of code violations are enforced within Cañon City?
4. What regulations pertain to my property?
5. Does the city have information pertaining to my property?
6. What if I have a disagreement with my neighbor about where our mutual property line is?
7. Can I keep horses on my property?
8. Can I keep poultry on my property?
9. How many dogs may I have on my property?
10. Can I store an RV on my property?
11. Can I park a truck-tractor or semi-trailer on or in front of my residential property?
12. Can I have an in-home business?
13. Am I allowed to have a yard sale from my residential property?
14. What type of signage is allowed on my residential property?
15. What type of signage is allowed on commercial property?
16. Can I get a trash exemption for the current trash ordinance?