Can I have two single family homes on my property?

Generally not, unless specific permission has been given by the City through a Special Review Use approval and you’ve been issued a Certificate of Compliance for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). There are 2 instances where these regulations would apply:

  • In the first case, if you already have 2 houses on your property (built before 2011) you can legalize the second, accessory dwelling by getting a Certificate of Compliance. This means that you have certified that the home is a safe dwelling and that it meets the City’s minimum requirements for an ADU.
  • In the second instance, if you are planning to build an ADU on your property, you would need to get a Special Review Use approval and then the Certificate of Compliance. ADUs may be allowed in these zone districts: RL, R-1, R-2 and R-3.


Please call the Planner for more information about these processes. See Chapter 17.15 of the Zoning Regulations for more information.

Show All Answers

1. How high can a fence be on my property?
2. Can I have two single family homes on my property?
3. Can I have a barbed wire or electric fence on my property?
4. What is the policy concerning outdoor food vending at a particular location?
5. Am I allowed to have accessory buildings on my property?
6. What uses are permitted on my property?
7. How close to my property lines may I build a house, shed or garage?