Animal Control Unit
The mission of the Animal Control Unit is to provide safety and public service to the citizens of Cañon City while also protecting the welfare of animals through enforcement and education.
The Community Services Officer conducts investigations concerning animal-related violations of Cañon City Municipal Ordinances. Investigations primarily involve:
- Animals at Large
- Barking Dog Complaints
- Vicious Animals
The duties of the Animal Control Unit include:
- Evaluation of sick or injured animals (domestic) and transportation if necessary.
- Apprehend and impound loose dogs and/or livestock.
- Assist Cañon City Police Officers when requested.
- Evaluate animals for signs of cruelty, neglect, and abuse.
- Removal of any small animal carcass from roadways.
- Attempt to mediate any neighborhood disputes over animal issues through communication, education, and enforcement.
- Cooperate with other agencies such as the Department of Wildlife and the Fremont County Sheriff's Office when necessary.
Cañon City requires that all dogs must be licensed. The Records Unit handles the request to license dogs within city limits in accordance with Municipal Code Section 6.08.040, 6.08.050
- If submitting a form online, once received the Records Unit will contact the owner to schedule a time to come in to pay and pick up the dog license.
Cañon City Dog License Fees are as follows:
- Spayed/Neutered Dog $12.50
- Unaltered Dog $22.50
- Dangerous Dog $22.50
Cats are not currently required to be licensed. We only deal with cats that are injured or deceased in the public right of way.
The Cañon City Police Department welcomes you to the Cañon City area and would like to remind you that for the safety of you and your dog, keep all dogs leashed in public places.
Animals should not be left in hot cars even if the windows are down and the animal has access to water or cold cars in the wintertime. The temperature of a vehicle rises higher faster than the temperature outside on a hot day. This can cause serious long-term injury to your pet.