The Finance Department is responsible for:
- Administering the City’s benefit programs
- The disbursement of City funds and for providing timely and informative financial information to a variety of users
- Ensuring city compliance with federal and state legislation, as well as the City’s Charter, ordinances and policy requirements
- Investing City funds
- Managing the City of Cañon City's financial resources. Departmental responsibilities include:
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Sales/Use Tax Administration
- Utility Billing
- Participating in policy analysis and formation
- Preparing and administering the City’s annual operating budget and five-year capital plan
- Preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report since 1997 and has been awarded the “Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting” by the Government Finance Officers Association every year.
Sales & Use Tax Administration
Created in 1990, the Sales and Use Tax Administration is responsible for processing receipts of sales tax returns, monitoring businesses’ compliance with the city’s sales and use tax ordinances, and overseeing collection of City sales tax instead of relying on the State for this function. The main emphasis is educating and assisting businesses with voluntary compliance with the ordinances, while maintaining the resources to enforce the ordinances, if necessary.
The Utility Billing main office number is 719-269-9015. Call this number to establish service, modify existing services, or to ask questions about services and billing. You can also email Utility Billing.
Tammy Nordyke is the Finance Director for the City of Cañon City. Mrs. Nordyke was appointed Finance Director of the City in April 2019. Mrs. Nordyke has 20 years of experience in governmental accounting.
The Director of Finance is the Chief Finance Officer of the City. They manage the Finance Department including all of the following functions:
- Debt Management
- Long Range Planning
- Sales and Use Tax
- Utility Billing
They are responsible for all of the City’s financial affairs placed in their charge by Charter including responsibility for the efficient operation of the City’s Finance Department. The Finance Director interacts with the City Administrator, City Council, and other departments and supervises all Finance staff.