The Public Information Department provides and supports internal and external communication & outreach efforts for the City of Cañon City. This department provides Cañon City citizens and businesses with comprehensive information about the activities and operations of their local government. The PIO coordinates an integrated City communication program using print, website content, social media, online civic engagement tools, and video to deliver consistent and timely messages to the public.
City News Edition
The City News Edition is a quarterly center newspaper insert in the Cañon City Shopper and is mailed out to Cañon City residents and businesses. Our City News Edition provides information about current and upcoming projects, plans, etc., in addition to links to community resources. Our first edition was published in the March 9, 2021 Shopper and can be read below. All following editions will also be posted below.
- 1st publication - 1st quarter of 2021
Requests for Records is handled through our City Clerk's Office. If you would like to make an Open Records Request, view the Open Records Policy (PDF), then complete the online Request for Records Form. You may also print out a Records Request Form (PDF) and bring the completed form to City Hall at 128 Main Street. Please contact Cindy Foster Owens at 719.276.5242 for more information.
Police record requests are handled through the Cañon City Police Department. You may print out a Police Request for Records Form (PDF) and bring the completed form to the Police Station at 161 Justice Center Road. Please contact Jill Filer at 719.276.5600 for more information.
Report An Issue to the City
SeeClickFix is a web tool that allows citizens to report non-emergency neighborhood issues which are communicated to local government. Please be advised that this application is not to be used for emergencies. For urgent matters that require immediate attention, call 911. For water main breaks or customer emergencies call the Water Distribution Department at 719-269-9022.
Social Media Policy
The City of Cañon City encourages the use of its social media sites as a forum for discussion. However, all official city social media sites are moderated for appropriate content. The following types of comments may be hidden or deleted:
- Obscene, vulgar, threatening, or harassing language
- Personal attacks or threats of any kind
- Offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, genetics, and economic status
- Spam or promotion of services, products, or political organizations
- Comments advocating illegal activity or including the posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others
- Defamatory, libelous, or malicious speech
- Release of confidential information that may compromise the safety, security, or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations
- Comments engaging in political activity including advocating for the election or defeat of any individual to elected public office or promoting the passage or defeat of any ballot question or measure